Etowah Valley Historical Society Tour of Homes
November 3, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 12:00pm, repeating until November 4, 2018
The Etowah Valley Historical Society and Sans Souci Women’s Club hosts this tour of Adairsville’s Society Hill Historic District. Tour five spectacular Victorian homes, plus a special garden tour at McCollum Manor, in Georgia’s first city to be listed in its entirety on the National Register of Historic Places. Guests will be welcomed into to a genteel and gracious city with historian docents and homeowners sharing personal stories and historic knowledge. The tour begins at the Sans Souci Clubhouse, 101 Railroad Street, Adairsville; where ample free parking is available and live music will also be enjoyed. Shuttle vans will provide transportation to and from the homes or guests may walk the grand tree-lined streets. Please note that parking will not be available along the tour route. CLICK TO PURCHASE TICKETS
Featured homes include:
11o Park Street
112 Park Street – The Brogdon-Holder House (1890) – This Victorian home, along with those at 110 Park Street and 114 Park Street was an “order package home,” pre-cut and assembled on site.
117 Park Street – Abramson-Antonio House (1890) – Abraham Abramson and his wife Sallie were Russian emigrants who pushed a cart around town selling cooking pots and sewing goods. The small building behind the house was built as a studio for Sallie for her china painting.
118 Park Street – Bishop-Bradley House (1905) – This house was built by John Schmitz at a cost of $2,175. It features movable inside shutters and pocket doors and is the only house in town with a “widow’s walk.”
123 Park Street – McCollum Manor (1905) – GARDEN TOUR ONLY – This Greek Revival home was built by John Schmitz at a cost of $3,200 for Robert McCollum, owner of the town hardware store. McCollum helped bring the first telephone service to Adairsville. During the 1960s and early 1970s this house was known as “The Teacherage,” because it consisted of several apartments rented out to local teachers.
BONUS – The Boyhood Home of Pretty Boy Floyd. Located on Railroad Street near the Sans Souci Clubhouse, the Floyd-Earwood Home was the childhood home of Charles Arthur Floyd (1904-1934), who made a name for himself in just thirty short years as a bank robber and gangster during the Great Depression. Charles became known as Pretty Boy Floyd, a name he reportedly despised. Just three months before his death, Floyd was also named Public Enemy No. 1. The home later served as a Baptist Parsonage.